The Laboratory’s scientific program aims at finding sustainable solutions to the problems faced by coastal managers. Its research priorities are based on Quebec’s current coastal erosion and protection needs, taking into account the specific weather conditions observed at our latitudes and the potential impacts of climate change on the coastal and river dynamics in Quebec.
- Build physical models of sedimentary dynamics and shoreline destabilization processes;
- Model these processes quantitatively;
- Design infrastructure to be used as corrective measures and validate their effectiveness;
- Develop innovative methods for shoreline stabilization, riverbank protection, and restoration of rivers;
- Use climate model predictions to anticipate future damage to coastal and riparian infrastructure and provide optimal solutions to the ministries and agencies involved;
- Train experts in the field of coastal and river engineering;
- Increase knowledge in the field of marine, coastal, and river engineering.